Council Tax: register or report a change of circumstances

If any changes occur which may affect your Council Tax liability, you are required by law to inform the Council within 21 days of the change.

If you are claiming Council Tax Support or Housing Benefit and your circumstances change, you will also need to inform our Benefits department.

Change of address / change of tenants

If you have moved into, within, or out of Cheshire East, complete the form below.

Single Person discount

If you are the only adult living in your household then you are entitled to a 25% discount off your bill. If you are already receiving the discount and another adult moves into the property, you will need to cancel your discount.

Change of name

If the name on your bill is inaccurate due to a name change or typing error, complete the:

Other changes in circumstances

The Council awards discounts, exemptions and reductions against Council Tax liability. You are legally required to inform us if there is any change in your household or property that may affect your claim. 

Report a death

To report that a Council Tax payer has died, complete the:

  • Council Tax notification of death

If the person who has passed away lived alone

When a property had been occupied by a single person, who either owned or rented the property and that person dies, the property is exempt from Council Tax payment for as long as it remains unoccupied, and until probate is granted. 

Following a grant of probate, a further six months exemption is possible as long as the property remains unoccupied and has not been sold or transferred to someone else. 

It is important that the executor(s) inform the Council Tax team of: 

  • the date probate is granted
  • details of the transfer or sale of the property or the end date of the tenancy
  • when the estate is settled 

During this time the council may contact the executors periodically to review entitlement to the exemption. 

Six months from the date probate is granted the full Council Tax will be due to be paid by the executors of the estate.

Two adults living in a property

When a property was previously occupied by two adults the Council Tax charge might have been in both names or only in the name of one of the occupants. Providing only one person continues to live in the property we will transfer the Council Tax name solely into their name and grant a 25% sole occupier discount. 

More than two adults living in a property 

If a property was occupied by more than two adults, and one person dies, we will transfer the Council Tax into the name of the remaining owner/occupiers or joint tenants. 

Council Tax Liability for Executors 

Executors are the people appointed in the will to deal with the estate of a person who has died. When probate is granted a document is issued to the executor providing them with the authority to deal with the estate. 

If, after probate is granted ownership of a property is transferred to a beneficiary of the will, any liability for Council Tax passes to the beneficiary.  

If for any reason after probate has been granted the property remains under the control of the estate for more than six months, a full Council Tax charge is due.  

The executor is responsible for making payment of the Council Tax. The executor is not personally liable for Council Tax charges, and payment should be made from the deceased estate. If the executor cannot make payment they should contact the council immediately. 

Apply for a Council Tax exemption

Contact us

Council Tax online enquiry form

Council Tax Team available for telephone enquiries:
Monday - Friday, 8:30 - 17:00

0300 123 5013

Revenues Service
Cheshire East Council
PO Box 622

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?