Your Council Tax bill explained
The bill is made up of three main sections, these are explained in more detail below.
- Top section - Billing information
- Middle section - How your bill is calculated
- Bottom section - How to pay your bill
The top section shows the main details of your Council Tax account.
- The tax year the bill covers.
- The names of any persons liable for the bill.
- The address the bill has been issued to (this is the address of the property the bill relates to, or a contact address).
- The date the bill was issued.
- The Council Tax account reference number.
- The address of the property the bill relates to.
- The band of the property.
How your bill is calculated
Council Tax is made up of Cheshire East Council, Cheshire Fire Authority and Cheshire Police Authority (shown as Police and Crime Commissioner) charges. If you live in an area where there is a Parish/Town Council, they need money to provide additional services within that parish/town, which is included in the charge. It is now the second year that we have an Adult Social Care Precept.
8. How the annual charge is broken down between Cheshire East Council, Parish/Town Council, Cheshire Fire Authority and Cheshire Police Authority, and the percentage increase / decrease for the year.
9. In year one (2016/17) the Cheshire East Adult Social Care (CE ASC) precept for a band D property was £24.33. This year the CE ASC precept is £62.19, which includes the 2016/17 charge of £24.33, and a 3% increase of the total of the Cheshire East Borough Council (CE) and CE ASC precepts for 2016/17 of £37.86 (excluding Town/Parish, Police and Fire precepts).
See below for the calculations of these charges based on a Band D property (or click the link for more detailed explanation):
Cheshire East Borough Council (CE) charge:
CE and CE ASC total for 2016/17 x 1.99% = Increase in CE charge for 2017/18
£1,237.62 + £24.33 = £1261.95 x 1.99% = £25.11
2016/17 CE Charge £1,237.62 + £25.11 (Increase) = CE charge 2017/18 £1,262.73
Cheshire East Adult Social Care (CE ASC) charge:
CE and CE ASC total for 2016/17 x 3.00% = Increase in CE ASC for 2017/18
£1,237.62 + £24.33 = £1,261.95 x 3.00% = £37.86
2016/17 CE ASC Charge £24.33 + £37.86 (Increase) = CE ASC charge 2017/18 £62.19
10. Total annual charge (before any reduction).
11. Reduction to the annual charge e.g. Single Occupancy discount
12. Total amount you need to pay (after any reduction).
How to pay
This section shows a breakdown of your due payments for your current annual charge (it does not include any arrears from previous years Council Tax). 13. The date each instalment is due and the amount to be paid.The back of the bill explains different ways of when and how to pay your bill. You will find a barcode at the back of the bill, this can be used to make payments at Post Office and PayPoint outlets.