Self-build and custom build housing

We are developing a register of people who express an interest in buying serviced plots of land to build their own home. We will assess the register when carrying out planning and other functions.

What is self-build?

Individuals or associations who purchase land and build their own house or houses on a serviced plot or plots is known as a self-build. The property may be built by the individual or by employing a builder, architect and, in some cases, a project manager to oversee the build.

A serviced plot has access to the public highway as well as connections for electricity, water and waste water.

What is custom build?

This tends to be where individuals work with a developer who divides larger sites into individual plots and provides a design and build service to purchasers.  This also gives people the opportunity to customise existing house designs to suit their needs.   

How do I apply to go on to the register?

If you are considering undertaking a self-build or a custom build project in Cheshire East you can complete a questionnaire to be added to the register, applicants must be able to prove they are:

  • aged 18 or over
  • a British citizen, a national of EEA state other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • seeking (either alone of with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in Cheshire East to build a house to occupy as that individual's sole or main residence.

Completing the questionnaire does not guarantee that the Council will be able to identify a suitable plot for you. At this stage the register will form part of the evidence needed to assess the demand for individuals and associations seeking to acquire serviced plots of land.  The register will be managed by the Strategic Housing Team.

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on Cheshire East Local Planning Authority to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who wish to acquire serviced plots of land to bring forward self-build and custom housebuilding projects.

It places a duty on Cheshire East LPA to have regard to those registers in carrying out planning and other functions.

Cheshire East Council is the Planning Authority for most of Cheshire East except for the north eastern extremity where the Peak District National Park is the Planning Authority.

Contact us

Email: Strategic Housing and Development


Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?