Cheshire East household waste recycling centres.
All household waste and recycling centres (HWRC) are open seven days a week throughout the year including Bank Holidays and only close on Christmas Day.
Opening hours for recycling centres in Cheshire East
|March - April
||08:00 - 18:00
|May - August
||08:00 - 20:00
|September - October
||08:00 - 18:00
||For Health and Safety purposes sites will close earlier if dark.
|November - February
||08:00 - 16:00
Locations of the household waste recycling centres
Below is a list of the household waste and recycling centres, follow the links to see the sites on our interactive mapping system.
Household Waste and recycling Centres
|Household Waste Recycling Centre||Address and link to map||Telephone number|
|Alsager Household Waste Recycling Centre
||off Hassall Road, Alsager, ST7 2SJ (map)
|Arclid Household Waste Recycling Centre
||off Davenport Lane, Arclid, close to junction of A50/A534, CW11 2SR (map)
|Bollington Household Waste Recycling Centre
||off Albert Road, Bollington, SK10 5HW (map)
|Congleton Household Waste Recycling Centre
||off Barn Road, off the A536, Congleton to Macclesfield Rd, CW12 1LJ (map)
|Crewe Household Waste Recycling Centre
||Pyms Lane, Crewe, off the A530 Middlewich to Nantwich Rd, CW1 3PJ (map)
|Knutsford Household Waste Recycling Centre
||off Mobberley Rd (B5085), Shaw Heath, Knutsford, WA16 8HT (map)
|Macclesfield Household Waste Recycling Centre
||off the A536 Macclesfield to Congleton Rd, Gawsworth, Macclesfield SK11 9QP (map)
|Middlewich Household Waste Recycling Centre
||Croxton Lane, Middlewich, CW10 9EZ (map)
|Poynton Household Waste Recycling Centre
||off Anson Road, Poynton, SK121TD (map)
For more information about facilities at the centres contact 0300 123 5011.
- Only household waste is accepted at the centres. See also Household Waste Permit Scheme
- Commercial and trade waste is not permitted and should be taken to appropriately licensed facilities. See business waste collection or contact the Environment Agency for more details
- Gas cylinders cannot be accepted as they are the property of the gas company and should be returned to the supplier
- Tyres cannot be accepted.
Household waste permit
A household waste permit is needed each time you use a council household waste recycling centre with any sort of van, pickup, commercial type 4x4 or a trailer over 1.5 metres (internal length). If you arrive without a permit in one of these vehicles you will be refused entry to the centre. See household waste permit scheme for further information or telephone our Hotline on 0300 123 5011 between 08.30 and 17:00, Monday-Friday.
What you can recycle at the HWRCs
The following materials or items are collected at all of the household waste recycling centres:
- Paper - Please note that shredded paper can only be accepted in low quantities (1-2 small carrier bags) and must be handed directly to a site attendant to prevent any littering due to wind.
- Textiles/clothing/shoes (these should be bagged) - Please note that duvets, pillows and cushion pads should not be put in the textile banks.
- Engine oil
- Vegetable/cooking oil
- Scrap metal
- Cans - steel and aluminium
- Plastic bottles
- Green garden waste
- Batteries - both car and household batteries
- Rubble (excluding plasterboard) - please note this is for small DIY projects only. For larger scale projects it is recommended that you hire a skip.
- Small and large domestic appliances
- Fridges and freezers
- Televisions and computer monitors
- Fluorescent tubes and energy saving bulbs
- Bric-a-brac (general reusable items)
- Plasterboard – this is only accepted at Pyms Lane, Crewe and Congleton Road, Macclesfield
Bonded asbestos waste
Special skips for the disposal of small quantities of bonded asbestos waste are provided at the Pyms Lane (Crewe) and Danes Moss (Macclesfield) centres. No more than 6 sheets of asbestos can be accepted per property. It is recommended that you hire a specialist skip and consult asbestos removal contractors for larger scale work. Contractors can be found on the internet or the telephone directory.
Note:You should telephone the site (see numbers above) in advance of your visit to check available capacity. Report to the attendant upon arrival.
The waste management licence requires that all bonded asbestos delivered to the Centres must be double bagged or double wrapped in heavy duty polythene and sealed
When handling, transporting and disposing of bonded asbestos waste, we advise:
- keep the material damp
- avoid breaking up large pieces
- ideally transport in an enclosed vehicle or covered trailer
- wear a face mask and gloves
Waste Analysis - find out more about what gets thrown away at our Household Waste and Recycling Centres.
Recycling Statistics - find out how much waste gets recycled at our Household Waste and Recycling Centres.
Household waste recycling centre (HWRC) contract
From 1 February 2008, HW Martin Waste Ltd took over responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the Council's household waste recycling centres. The centres are now operated under a performance-based contract which has increased the amount of waste recycled and composted as well as providing facilities for additional types of materials to be collected. Recycling rates overall have increased by at least 20 per cent.
Waste and recycling is now provided by Ansa - a company owned by Cheshire East Council