Household Waste Permit Scheme

Household Waste Recycling Centres are provided and paid for by residents of Cheshire East as places where they may deposit and recycle their own household waste. Waste arising from commercial premises or produced in the course of a business is classified as commercial or trade waste and cannot legally be accepted at the centres.

To address problems caused by illegal tipping of trade waste at the nine Household Waste Recycling Centres we have a  permit scheme.

A permit must be handed in each time you use a Council Household Waste Recycling Centre with any sort of van, pickup, commercial type 4x4 or a trailer over 1.5 metres (internal length). If you arrive without a permit in one of these vehicles you will be refused entry to the centre.

Apply for a Household Waste Permit

Permits are provided free of charge and are only valid for the deposit of household waste.

Please ensure that you read carefully all the terms and conditions before submitting your form.

Household waste permit terms and conditions

Trailers in excess of 3.5 metres will not be allowed on site under any circumstances. Trailers between 2.5 - 3.5 metres will only be allowed at Crewe and Macclesfield. The length of trailers refers to the total internal length of the trailer box (excluding tow bar).

Vehicles above 3.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) are not authorised to use the Household Waste Recycling Centres.

Apply before 13:00 on a working day, (Monday to Friday) and permits will be posted second class on the same working day.  Requests received after 13:00 will be sent by second class the following working day.

Six permits will be issued at a time and will be valid for a period of six months. Applications for the subsequent six permits may be made one month prior to the expiry of existing permits. A maximum of twelve permits will be issued over twelve months.

Waste produced by or carried in the course of a business is trade waste and cannot be accepted at any of the Household Waste Recycling Centres. Permits will not be issued for the disposal of trade waste.

Fly-tipping of waste is illegal. Anyone disposing of waste in this way could be liable to prosecution by the Environment Agency. The Council discourages all traders and householders from fly-tipping waste.

Do you require changes to existing household waste permits?

If you are already in possession of household waste permits, and changes to the permits are required, for example because of a change of vehicle or address.  In order to re-issue permits with the changes, the existing unused permits must be returned to Cheshire East Council, Customer Services – Macclesfield Town Hall, C/O Municipal Buildings, Earl Street, Crewe, CW1 2BL, where on receipt of these permits, the customer services team will update the information and re issue the amended waste permits.

Why have a waste permit scheme?

  • It is an offence to deposit trade waste at Household Waste Recycling Centres. The centres are not licensed to accept trade waste, so not only are traders breaking the law by tipping at the sites but the Council would be doing the same by letting them.
  • Existing measures to stop trade waste being illegally deposited at our Household Waste Recycling Centres have had limited impact. This has resulted in increased waste arisings and therefore increased costs to all Council tax payers.
  • Traders depositing waste at Household Waste Recycling Centres increase traffic and congestion.
  • Reduced queuing for householders would help make the recycling option more attractive and help us to meet government set recycling targets.

The permit scheme has been introduced to address these issues and to improve the standard of service for Cheshire residents.

Apply for a Household Waste Permit

Or contact our Waste Permits telephone hotline on 0300 123 5011 between 08:30 and 17:00 Monday-Friday.

Waste and recycling is now provided by Ansa - a company owned by Cheshire East Council

Contact us

Waste Permits telephone hotline
0300 123 5011 select option 2
08:30 and 17:00

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?